Thomas R. Meux Home (1889)
1007 R Street
The Meux Home was built in 1889 by Dr. Thomas Richard Meux (1838-1929). During the Civil War he enlisted as a private in the Ninth Tennessee Volunteer Regiment of the Confederate Army. After four years he left the service as an assistant surgeon with the rank of Captain. The Meux family moved in Fresno in 1887, and Dr. Meux chose the corner of Tulare and R streets as the family's homesite in March of 1888. Meux established his medical practice in 1889 and served as a physician from his office and home the rest of his life. The home was continuously occupied by the Meux family for eighty years. It was later acquired by the city of Fresno and is presently open to the public as the Meux Home Museum.